Medfield Community Electricity (MCE) is a program in development by the Town to provide residents and businesses more electricity supply options and more renewable energy. The program is a Town-vetted alternative to Eversource’s default supply and other third party electricity suppliers.
Plan Approved by Board of Selectmen!
Following the Town’s second public review, the Community Choice Aggregation Committee proposed only clarifying updates to the Plan. Such Plan was presented and approved by the Select Board at their meeting on August 30 and is available for download here.
Next: Awaiting DPU Review
The Town will now seek approval of the Aggregation Plan from the Department of Public Utilities (DPU). The Program may only launch after DPU approval. We hope to launch in the late fall 2023. Follow along on the DPU’s website under Docket #22-109. Stay tuned for updates!
Medfield Community Electricity:
DPU Public Hearing & Comments
Medfield submitted its Plan for the Medfield Community Electricity (MCE) Program to the Department of Public Utilities (DPU). The DPU’s first phase of review is to schedule a public hearing. The hearing will be held via Zoom on November 22, 2022 at 2 pm. The DPU invites public comment at the hearing, or in advance in writing. Read the Notice with details on how to access the hearing on Zoom and to submit written comments here. Learn more about MCE at the Program website Electricity.Medfield.Net.
Medfield Community Electricity is the only electricity program in development by the Town– beware of look-alike offers and always look for the Town seal on materials sent to you!
Medfield Community Electricity Program Plan
The following information pertains to the Aggregation Plan released for public review from July 12, 2022 through August 22, 2022.
Click to download the updated Aggregation Plan for the Medfield Community Electricity program (PDF format) as well as a Key summarizing changes.
Copies of the Plan documents show redline changes to the original Aggregation Plan (from January 2022). Click below to download:
- Redline of Exhibit 1 (Plan)
- Redline of Exhibit 1-Att A (Education & Outreach Plan)
- Redline of Exhibit 2 (Electricity Supply Agreement)
Although the official comment period is closed, feel free to provide your comments (or questions) through the form below.
Goals of Medfield Community Electricity
Competitive, Stable Price
Medfield Community Electricity will seek to provide long-term, advantageous and predictable rates for electricity that exceeds the Massachusetts renewable energy requirements. Savings compared to Eversource’s Basic Service rates cannot be guaranteed because future Eversource rates are unknown.
More Renewable Energy
Medfield Community Electricity’s standard and optional products include more renewable energy than required by Massachusetts. This means you can use cleaner electricity and support the growth of renewable energy generation in our region.
Increased Choice and Easy Participation
The program offers different options for electricity supply so that everyone in Medfield can find an option that fits their budget and climate goals.
Participants in Medfield Community Electricity may leave the program at any time without penalty.
Customers with new electricity accounts can join the program at any time.
How It Works
Medfield Community Electricity does not replace Eversource as your electric utility. They continue to deliver electricity, repair outages and manage all billing. The program offers alternatives for the Supply portion of your bill. See the Understanding Your Bill section on the Eversource’s website to see the difference between Supply and Delivery sections.
The program is open to electricity customers in Medfield – whether they are a resident, a business, a renter or an owner.
Prior to program launch, Medfield will conduct extensive education and outreach to notify our community.
The program is structured with voluntary participation and automatic enrollment.
- Voluntary participation: customers can leave the program at any time – either before the program starts or during – without penalty.
- Automatic enrollment for most: In Medfield, most residential and some business customers are receiving their electricity supply from the Eversource Basic Service. For these customers, the entry into the program is simple and easy. They are given a 30-day period to consider their participation in the program. At the end of the 30-day period, customers who choose to participate (i.e. do not opt out) will be automatically enrolled in the program. Customers will be enrolled into the Medfield Standard product, unless they have chosen one of the optional products.
Each customer eligible for automatic enrollment will receive a Customer Notification Letter in the mail. It will have program details and provide ways to opt out via prepaid mailer, phone and online form.
- Opt-in required for some: Those Medfield residents and businesses who have already chosen an electricity supplier other than Eversource are not automatically enrolled in the program, though they can voluntarily opt in to the program at any time. The Department of Public Utilities advises all customers of third party suppliers to check their contract terms as their supplier may charge them a fee or a penalty to leave before the end of their contract with their supplier.
Solar electricity consumers will not be impacted and will continue to receive all net metering credits while participating in the Program.
Budget Billing and Low Income Delivery Rate customers will continue to receive those benefits while participating in the Program
Questions and Support
Have questions or need help? Please visit the support page, which contains the contact a form for comments.